Product of an empty sequence

Ivan Vilata i Balaguer ivilata at
Thu Oct 19 06:59:08 CDT 2006

Today I was surprised by this::

>>> import numpy
>>> numpy.__version__

Wouldn't be 0.0 a more natural answer?  I understand that 1 is neutral
on product operations, but I still can't see why 1.0 is a better answer.
 Sorry for the clueless question, but I have searched lists, docstrings
and web and found nothing about this.

(BTW, the definitions of ``prod()`` and ``product()`` are still
identical as noted by Sebastian Haase some time ago.)

	Ivan Vilata i Balaguer   >qo<
	       Cárabos Coop. V.  V  V   Enjoy Data