some work on arpack

Aric Hagberg hagberg at
Sun Oct 22 09:08:51 CDT 2006

On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 02:05:42PM -0700, Keith Goodman wrote:
> Did you, or anybody else on the list, have any luck making a numpy
> version of eigs?

I made a start at an ARPACK wrapper, see
and the short thread at scipy-dev

In addition to the wrapper there is a Python interface (and some tests).
I don't know if the interface is like "eigs" - I don't use Matlab.

It will give you a few eigenvalues and eigenvectors for the standard
eigenproblem (Ax=lx) for any type of A (symmetric/nonsymmetric, real/complex,
single/double, sparse/nonsparse).

The generalized and shifted modes are not implemented.
I need to find some time (or some help) to get it finished.