Changes to bools under Numexpr

Ivan Vilata i Balaguer ivilata at
Sun Oct 29 03:15:49 CST 2006

En/na Colin J. Williams ha escrit::

> I'm afraid I'm still baffled.  Are you saying that your proposal is
> necessary
> to preserve compatibility with Python versions before 2.3? Otherwise, it
> appears
> to introduce clutter with no clear benefit.
> I don't find Numexpr in NumPy, are you referring to a scipy module?

    The scipy.sandbox.numexpr package supplies routines for the fast
    evaluation of array expressions elementwise by using a vector-based
    virtual machine. It's comparable to scipy.weave.blitz (in Weave),
    but doesn't require a separate compile step of C or C++ code.

If your SciPy package doesn't include it, you can get a checkout from
the repository::

    $ svn co

Numexpr is not usable under Python <= 2.4 since it uses decorators (and
maybe for other reasons), so my proposal clearly hasn't the intention on
Python 2.3 compatibility.  Instead, it is a simplification of Numexpr's
type system by stricter boolean types.

I suggest that you try Numexpr.  It is a great piece of software.  Cheers,

	Ivan Vilata i Balaguer   >qo<
	       Cárabos Coop. V.  V  V   Enjoy Data