Strange numpy.argmax behavior on object arrays in numpy 1.0.

Tom Denniston tom.denniston at
Sun Oct 29 16:53:37 CST 2006

I recently upgraded to numpy 1.0 from 1.0b5.   I noticed that
numpy.argmaxbehavior is very strange on object arrays.  See below:

(Pdb) numpy.__version__
(Pdb) numpy.argmax(numpy.array([2, 3], dtype=object))
(Pdb) numpy.argmax(numpy.array([2, 3], dtype=int))
(Pdb) numpy.argmax(numpy.array([2, 3], dtype=object), axis=0)

I would expect the argmax to behave the same on the dtype=int and
dtype=object examples but it doesn't.  Am I missing some subtelty or is this
just a bug?  1.0 is the most recent version, right?