Need more comments from scientific community on python-dev

Travis Oliphant oliphant at
Tue Oct 31 14:29:41 CST 2006

Sasha wrote:

>On 10/31/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at> wrote:
>>I'm recruiting more comments on python-dev regarding my two proposals
>>for improving Python's native ability to share ndarray-like information.
>I would love to help, but I feel that I will be on the other side of
>the disagreement.  (That's why I reply here rather than on python-dev

Please read my posts about the Python type-object verses normal Python
Object situation.  That really is the crux of the matter.

Ctypes uses a Python type object for every data-format.
NumPy uses an instance of a data-type object for every data-format.

What advantage do we gain by making every instance of a data-type object
*also* a Python type object?  We get a lot of head-ache.  Have you seen
what ctypes had to do?  It had to define a new Dictionary object so it
could attach it to the tp_dict parameter because you can't just inherit
from the PyTypeObject and add the fields you want to the structure.
This is my argument.

I for one am not going to put any effort in that direction.  People are
free to do it, if they want, of course.  But, it's no small change.   I
would, however, put effort into "undertstanding ctypes objects" as
data-type objects.