[Numpy-discussion] On loop and broadcasting (again)

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Oct 6 01:33:11 CDT 2006

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> David Cournapeau wrote:
>> Hi,
>>   The email from Albert made me look again on some surprising results I
>> got a few months ago when starting my first "serious" numpy project. I
>> noticed that when computing multivariate gaussian densities, centering
>> the data was more expensive than everything else, including
>> exponentiation. Now that I have some experience with numpy, and
>> following the previous discussion, I tried the following script:
> Try it again with the new code in SVN.
It looks like your modification solved this particular issue !:

     10    0.645    0.065    0.645    0.065
     10    0.625    0.062    0.625    0.062
      1    0.333    0.333    0.333    0.333

Now, using broadcast is as fast as doing the substraction itself (which
does not include the necessary repmat). I tried it on my laptop, where I
can safely use beta code (python 2.4 + SVN numpy), which  explains the
timing differences compared to my previous email; as the memory is
limited on the laptop, I only benchmarked the brodcasting. For smaller
arrays, I couldn't see major differences in relative timing for the
other implementations.

Thank you very much !