super-packages [was "Hello and my first patch"]

A. M. Archibald peridot.faceted at
Fri Oct 6 15:35:34 CDT 2006

On 06/10/06, Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker at> wrote:
> A. M. Archibald wrote:
> > Is setting out to create a "MATLAB replacement" a good goal?
> No.

I see what you mean, but I still think that using MATLAB as a
yardstick ("Can users do everything with the python superpackage that
they could with MATLAB?" "Is it of comparable or lesser difficulty?")
is a good idea, at least until we've clearly outstripped it in all

> MATLAB two advantages (and they are big ones!): integrated plotting and
> a large and broad library of ready-to-use functions for a wide variety
> of computing.

This is what I mean about using it as a yardstick.

As a MATLAB survivor, would you be interested in going to and adding numerical tools
that MATLAB has, so that we can use it as a checklist for what tools
we'd like to have (first)? I put a short list there, but it's years
since I last used MATLAB.

> MPL has almost solved one, and SciPy is getting better an better -- so
> we're really on the right track!

I agree.

A. M. Archibald