ide for python/numpy/scipy/mpl development ?

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at
Fri Oct 6 23:16:26 CDT 2006

On 10/6/06, Robert Kern <robert.kern at> wrote:
> Eric Emsellem wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am looking for an IDE to develop python programs  and I am not sure
> > what to take.
> > The two critical items for me are 1/ a good debugger (simple and
> > efficient) 2/ something simple to manage the files.
> >
> > I would also very much like to keep some basic things such as (if
> possible):
> > - editing with gvim
> This probably is the most limiting factor. I use pida because it embeds
> gvim
> into a PyGTK frame with all of the IDE goodies around it.
> I believe it can use one of the PyGTK debugger GUIs, but I've never used
> it.

Pida looks nice, thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, the mercurial
support needs editing to make it work at a basic level. To make pida really
work right for distributed repositories looks trickier because distributed
version control doesn't necessarily have a central repository while the
current pida interface looks to be based around that concept.