Things to address for Py3K

Rob Hetland hetland at
Thu Oct 12 10:52:15 CDT 2006

On Oct 11, 2006, at 1:41 PM, Travis Oliphant wrote:

>    a) an extra multiplication operator to distinguish between
> element-by-element and dot

One of the things I like about numpy is that element-by-element
multiplication is default.  Really, most of what I do is element by
element, punctuated by a few matrix multiplications (or whatever
other matrix operations) at the end.  If I had a penny for every '.'
I put in front of an operator in MATLAB, I would buy us all new
computers -- expensive ones even.

I hope that, if there is another multiplication operator like .*,
that this will be shorthand for dot(A, B), and not for elem-by-elem

Rob Hetland, Associate Professor
Dept. of Oceanography, Texas A&M University
phone: 979-458-0096, fax: 979-845-6331