questions regarding assignement and copy

Sven Schreiber svetosch at
Wed Oct 18 08:50:45 CDT 2006

David Cournapeau schrieb:
> Sven Schreiber wrote:
>> Yes it's intended; as far as I understand the python/numpy syntax, <+>
>> is an operator, and that triggers assignment by copy (even if you do
>> something trivial as bar = +foo, you get a copy, if I'm not mistaken),
> So basically, whenever you have
> foo = expr
> with expr is a numpy expression containing foo, you trigger a copy ?

David, I would tend to confirm your conjecture, but given its generality
  I should not pretend to really know all about that stuff.

It could be, for example, that the user may specify inside the
expression that she wants a view, not a copy, But I don't know if that's
really possible.

Anybody else available to help out?