Cross compilation

David M. Cooke cookedm at
Tue Oct 24 14:09:31 CDT 2006

On Oct 22, 2006, at 22:05 , Jeremy R. Fishman wrote:

> Hi, I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on how to go
> about cross-compiling NumPy.  I have been searching around and
> can't find any support in distutils for cross compilation.  Is
> there some way I can still compile Numerical Python using a mipsel-
> linux compiler, on say a Cygwin host?
> The end result would be to use NumPy with an embedded Python
> interpreter running on a mipsel host.  In specific, The OPEN-R
> system by Sony for use on Aibo robotic dogs.  I need to figure out
> how to get setup to use the mipsel compiler, not how to set up the
> compiler.

I suppose you could run the config step (using the host's compiler),
then go and fix up the generated config files in the build/ directory.

Hmm, looks to me if you run 'python build_src', then go poke
around in build/src.<something>, you should find a numpy/, numpy/distutils/ (which look to be the
same file, for some reason), and a numpy/core/config.h

I *think* that's all you you'd have to fiddle. Then you should be
able to build the modules by setting CC to your cross compiler, and
doing 'python build_ext build_py' (Almost; looks like one config test
is done in build_ext).

Hope that helps; patches to make this cleaner are welcome.