[Numpy-discussion] inconsistent dtype promotion in dimensionless arrays

Travis Oliphant oliphant@ee.byu....
Thu Apr 5 17:11:06 CDT 2007

Matthew Koichi Grimes wrote:

>I've noticed two dtype promotion behaviors that are surprising to me.
>I'm hoping to get people's input as to whether I should file bug tickets
>on them.

Short answer:  No, they are not bugs.

The rule is:

In any mixed-type operation between two objects of the same fundamental
"kind" (i.e. integer, float, complex) arrays always have precedence over
"scalars"  (where a 0-d array is considered a scalar in this context).

It's a rule whose reason has a long history.