[Numpy-discussion] Matlab Translation - sqrt elementwise

Miquel Poch miquel.poch@gmail....
Tue Apr 17 13:58:43 CDT 2007

I've found the next expression write it in Matlab,

Rtx   = sqrt(Rt);

Rtx is a matrix, and that's why I need sqrt() to operate elementwise. I've
read NumPy tutorial, and I know it's possible,

A set of this functions, has been provided wich optimize certain kinds of
calculations on arrays. Most of this functions, such as sin, cos and sqrt
are unary functions wich operate elementwise.  [Numerical Python, pg. 13]

but I don't know who to do it. The next error appear when I execute the

''' exceptions.TypeError : only length-1 arrays can be converted to Python
scalars ''

Thanks in advance,
Mike <numpy-discussion@scipy.org>