[Numpy-discussion] building numpy with atlas on ubuntu edgy

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Apr 18 22:01:48 CDT 2007

Charles R Harris wrote:
> I'm wondering if the static libraries could simply be compiled with the
> -fPIC flag and linked with the program to produce the dynamic library.
> The static libraries are just collections of *.o files, so I don't see
> why that shouldn't work.

I don't think there is a reason why it *wouldn't* work; it's just that one needs
to do "gcc -shared" to make a .so and that flag also tells the linker to choose
.so's over .a's for the libraries that get linked into the target .so.

Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco