[Numpy-discussion] Towards using scons in numpy: 1st step

Wed Dec 19 19:29:17 CST 2007

David Cournapeau wrote:
> Hi,
> as discussed with some other numpy developers, in particular Travis, I
> started to prepare my work related to scons for step-by-step merging
> into the trunk. The first step is done, and is in cleanconfig_rtm
> branch (rtm for ready to merge).
> This branch basically:
>  - avoid introducing new SIZEOF_* like symbols, which are usually used
> by autotools. Python itself defines some of those, but should not.
>  - avoid #ifdef/#endif in config.h files: normally, configuration
> headers should only contains define. This also makes their generation
> more straightforward, and more compatible with standard build tools
> (autotools/scons). This is the main goal of the branch
How did you get around using #ifdef etc?  This concerns me to just
change it, unless I'm convinced there is no problem.

>  - split configuration defines into two files: one private (config.h),
> which is not visible by any other packages compiled against numpy
> headers, and one public (numpyconfig.h), which replaces the config.h.
I think this should be fine.
> If there is no problem, I would like to merge this one as quickly as
> possible: since it changes numpy.core public header, it may
> potentially break things, and I would prefer detecting those breakages
> now.
I'd like more reassurances about the #ifdef change,  but other than
that, it sounds fine.