[Numpy-discussion] [SciPy-dev] SciPy Sprint results

Thu Dec 20 17:24:44 CST 2007

Pierre GM wrote:
> All,
>> I'd like to move forward with it sooner (for 1.0.5) if the API changes
>> are not drastic.  Although ideally 0 API changes would be desireable,
>> I'm not sure if that is feasible.   Are put and putmask the only changes
>> in the API.  What are the rest of them?
These do not seem too bad.
> * put, putmask, take should behave like the numpy equivalent.
This does not sound like a problem.  Am I missing something?
> * fill_value is now a property, not a method.
I can see this is a good choice, but it is a backward compatibility
issue that we should document.
> * cumsum(cumprod) works as if the _data array was filled with 0 (1). The mask
> is preserved, but not updated. (the output of numpy.core.ma has nomask).
I don't understand what you mean here.    So, the mask effectively
removes those elements from the sum(product) computation?  What does it
mean that the mask is not updated?
> * bool(x) raises a ValueError, as it does for ndarrays.
What does bool(x) raise for numpy.core.ma.

If we can document exactly what the compatibility issues are (and it
looks like we are almost there), we should move forward.