[Numpy-discussion] array.sum() slower than expected along some array axes?

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sat Feb 3 20:34:38 CST 2007

Stephen Simmons wrote:

> The question though is whether all of the inner loop's overhead is
> necessary.
> My counterexample using numpy.dot() suggests there's considerable scope
> for improvement, at least for certain common cases.

Well, yes. You most likely have an ATLAS-accelerated dot(). The ATLAS put a lot
of work into making matrix products really fast. However, they did so at a cost:
different architectures use different code. That's not really something we can
do in the core of numpy without making numpy as difficult to build as ATLAS is.

Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco