[Numpy-discussion] numpy.matlib.abs

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sun Feb 4 19:12:44 CST 2007

Keith Goodman wrote:
> There's a numpy.abs but no numpy.matlib.abs.
>>> import numpy as N
>>> import numpy.matlib as M
>>> N.abs?
> Type:           ufunc
> Base Class:     <type 'numpy.ufunc'>
> String Form:    <ufunc 'absolute'>
> Namespace:      Interactive
> Docstring:
>     y = absolute(x) takes |x| elementwise.
>>> M.abs?
> Object `M.abs` not found.

numpy.abs() is not exported via "from numpy import *", which is where
numpy.matlib gets all of its non-overridden functions from. It is not exported
because it conflicts with the builtin abs().

Of course, absolute() is preferred for the same reason, and
numpy.matlib.absolute() does exist.

Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco