[Numpy-discussion] Numpy and iterative procedures

Geoffrey Zhu gzhu@peak6....
Thu Feb 15 10:32:32 CST 2007

Thanks Chuck.
I am trying to use Successive Over-relaxation to solve linear equations
defined by M*v=3Dq.
There are several goals:
1. Eventually (in production) I need it to be fast.
2. I am playing with the guts of the algorithm for now, to see how it
works. that means i need some control for now.
3. Even in production, there is a chance i'd like to have the ability to
tinker with the algorithm.

From: numpy-discussion-bounces@scipy.org
[mailto:numpy-discussion-bounces@scipy.org] On Behalf Of Charles R
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2007 10:11 AM
To: Discussion of Numerical Python
Subject: Re: [Numpy-discussion] Numpy and iterative procedures

On 2/15/07, Geoffrey Zhu <gzhu@peak6.com> wrote:

	I am new to numpy. I'd like to know if it is possible to code
	iterative procedures with numpy.
	Specifically, I have the following problem.
	M is an N*N matrix. Q is a N*1 vector. V is an N*1 vector I am
trying to
	find iteratively from the initial value V_0. The procedure is
simply to
	(M[i,1]*v_{n+1}[1]+M[I,2]*v_{n+1}[2]+..+M[i,i-1]*v_{n+1}[i-1]) -
	I do not see that this is something that can esaily be
vectorized, is

I think it would be better if you stated what the actual problem is. Is
it a differential equation, for instance. That way we can determine what
the problem class is and what algorithms are available to solve it.

The  information in this email or in any file attached=0A=
hereto is intended only for the personal and confiden-=0A=
tial  use  of  the individual or entity to which it is=0A=
addressed and may contain information that is  propri-=0A=
etary  and  confidential.  If you are not the intended=0A=
recipient of this message you are hereby notified that=0A=
any  review, dissemination, distribution or copying of=0A=
this message is strictly prohibited.  This  communica-=0A=
tion  is  for information purposes only and should not=0A=
be regarded as an offer to sell or as  a  solicitation=0A=
of an offer to buy any financial product. Email trans-=0A=
mission cannot be guaranteed to be  secure  or  error-=0A=
free. P6070214=0A=