[Numpy-discussion] Source install

Mark Janikas mjanikas@esri....
Wed Feb 28 18:39:01 CST 2007

Thanks Robert,

All good info as usual.  Best wishes,

-----Original Message-----
From: numpy-discussion-bounces@scipy.org
[mailto:numpy-discussion-bounces@scipy.org] On Behalf Of Robert Kern
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 3:32 PM
To: Discussion of Numerical Python
Subject: Re: [Numpy-discussion] Source install

Mark Janikas wrote:
> Thanks Robert,
> Sorry for the incomplete request for help.  The install of numpy seems
> to go fine, but when I import numpy it reports that it is running from
> the source directory.

Oh, just cd to somewhere else. Otherwise, you will pick up the partial
package in the source directory that we use to bootstrap the build.

> I assume this has to do with the BLAS/ATLAS stuff
> I have been reading about.  What I am actually trying to do is get
> wrapped in the install of our software program.  We currently wrap
> Python2.4 as our scripting language and I need a way to get numpy in
> compiler.  The gui portions of our software runs on Windows but the
> engine works on Unix flavors.  I am afraid I am not too knowledgeable
> about what goes on under the hood of the NumPy install.  I assume I
> an appropriate C compiler (where gcc fit in for Mac OSX), but I was
> wondering if there was an appropriate Doc I should closely examine
> would point me in the right direction.  I hope this clears my question
> up a bit.  Again, thanks in advance....

The standard Python documentation "Install Python Modules" is useful to
read. We
have extended the standard distutils package that is described there,
but the
fundamentals are applicable.

Reading the site.cfg.example file in the numpy source is useful
information for
configuring numpy.

Robert Kern

 that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though
it had
 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco
Numpy-discussion mailing list