[Numpy-discussion] Different results from repeated calculation

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 12:23:42 CST 2007

On 1/28/07, Keith Goodman <kwgoodman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/28/07, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> > [snip]  The test code uses double arrays, and SSE2 has double
> > precision support but it's purely 64-bit doubles.  SSE is
> > single-precision only, which means that for a double computation,
> > ATLAS isn't used and the Intel FPU does the computation instead.
> So since I use N.float64, ATLAS SSE won't help me?

Well, the SSE part won't, but you're still better off with ATLAS than
with the default reference BLAS implementation.  I think even an ATLAS
SSE has special code for double (not using any SSE-type engine) that's
faster than the reference BLAS which is pure generic Fortran.  Someone
who knows the ATLAS internals please correct me if that's not the