[Numpy-discussion] Compile extension modules with Visual Studio 2005

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Jul 24 14:08:10 CDT 2007

Geoffrey Zhu wrote:
> Thanks for your help. Do you know what exactly is the issue of having
> to use VS2003 to build extensions? If the interactions are done at DLL
> level, shouldn't call compilers that can generate DLLs work?

Mostly it's an issue of the C runtime that is used for either compiler. C
extensions need to use the same runtime as Python itself. Mostly.

> It doesn't look like using ctypes would be an option, as my goal is to
> 'vectorize' some operations.

You mean you need to use PyMultiIter objects for broadcasting? Yeah, that would
require an extension.

Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco