[Numpy-discussion] column_stack with mixed data types

Sebastian Haase haase@msg.ucsf....
Tue Jul 31 04:56:36 CDT 2007

On 7/31/07, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sebastian Haase wrote:
> >> The key thing is that the type of the container of records is different from the
> >> type of the record, so you'd either have to have a list of tuples (or a list of
> >> lists of ... tuples) or a tuple of lists. There is a tendency to use lists for
> >> homogeneous collections and tuples for inhomogeneous collections; Guido says
> >> that this is the main difference in how he uses tuples and lists. When you get
> >> an answer to a DB-API2 SQL query, you get a list of (usually augmented) tuples.
> >>
> > This is the best explanation I have heard about this  yet.
> > Where does he say this ? Just for reference ....
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-March/033964.html

apparently this still hasn't made it into the Python Style Guid though:

Refer also:
[Python-Dev] Tuples vs lists  Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com  12 Mar 2003

[Python-Dev] Christian Tismer  tismer@tismer.com 12 Mar 2003
he says: """I never realized this, and I'm a bit stunned.
(but by no means negative about it, just surprized)"""