[Numpy-discussion] annoying numpy string to float conversion behaviour

Torgil Svensson torgil.svensson@gmail....
Wed Jun 20 03:35:49 CDT 2007

Is there a reason for numpy.float not to convert it's own string
representation correctly?

Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Apr 18 2007, 08:51:08) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32>>> import numpy
>>> numpy.__version__
>>> numpy.float("1.0")
>>> numpy.nan
>>> numpy.float("-1.#IND")
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "<pyshell#20>", line 1, in <module>
ValueError: invalid literal for float(): -1.#IND

Also, nan and -nan are represented differently for different float to
string conversion methods. I guess the added zeros are a bug
>>> str(nan)
>>> "%f" % nan
>>> str(-nan)
>>> "%f" % -nan

This is a problem when floats are stored in text-files that are later
read to be numerically processed. For now I use the following to
convert the number.

def string_to_number(x):
   if x in special_numbers:
       return special_numbers[x]
   return float(x) if ("." in x) or ("e" in x) else int(x)

Is there a simpler way that I missed?

Best Regards,