[Numpy-discussion] annoying numpy string to float conversion behaviour

Torgil Svensson torgil.svensson@gmail....
Tue Jun 26 13:27:14 CDT 2007

On 6/26/07, Andrew Straw <strawman@astraw.com> wrote:
> Torgil Svensson wrote:
> > This seems to indicate that float('nan') works on some platforms but
> > str(nan) isn't. Is this true on Linux? Could anyone confirm this? What
> > about float('inf') and repr(inf) on Linux?
> On Ubuntu Feisty (amd64) Linux (but this behavior has been the same for
> at least the 6 years I can remember.):
> $ python
> Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, May  2 2007, 16:27:44)
> [GCC 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu4)] on linux2
>  >>> float('nan')
> nan
>  >>> float('inf')
> inf
>  >>> import numpy
>  >>> repr(numpy.inf)
> 'inf'
>  >>> repr(numpy.nan)
> 'nan'

I should have guessed this and tried it earlier, but the odds on
Windows in these cases are too low to give something in return. I
think I put this in the bag of annoyances/problems that will go away
with Windows and just live with it in the meantime.

Thanks for this report and all other good feedback from the list!