[Numpy-discussion] [numpy] argmin in multidimensional arrays

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sat Mar 3 15:09:35 CST 2007

Glen W. Mabey wrote:
> Does anyone else find this behavior counter-intuitive?
> It seems to me that one of the great design features of numpy is the
> n-dim generality it provides, and argmin is one function in this breaks
> down, IMHO.

Not at all. It consistently applies the simple rule: if the method operates over
an axis, it takes an axis= keyword argument. The default for the axis= argument
is None, which means that it operates over the flattened array. Other axes need
to be specified explicitly.

See .sum(), .mean(), .var(), .repeat(), .min(), etc.

Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco