[Numpy-discussion] OT: A Way to Approximate and Compress a 3D Surface

Tue Nov 20 18:41:03 CST 2007

Anne Archibald wrote:
>In particular it looks like VTK might be able
> to do what you want.

yes, it can. The way I've seen is to triangulate the surface, then do
"decimation" -- remove the triangles that don't add "much" to the detail
of the surface. I don't know of a way to do something similar keeping
the Cartesian grid -- but you may not need to.

Google "python triangle decimation" and VTK comes out on top, but there
are some other things there that might be of interest too.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax