[Numpy-discussion] OT: A Way to Approximate and Compress a 3DSurface

Wed Nov 21 10:40:38 CST 2007

Nadav Horesh wrote:
> Wouldn't a random or regular subsampling of the set will do the job?

 > I have N tabulated data points { (x_i, y_i, z_i) } that describes a 3D
 > surface. The surface is pretty "smooth."

If it's equally "smooth" everywhere, then yes, a subsampling would work
fine, but I'm guessing the OP wants something smarter than that.

> For data interpolation: 2D-Delaunay triangulation based method (I think you can find one in the scipy cookbook).

yup -- but  then you need the decimation to remove the "unneeded"
points. I don't think Scipy has that.

the GNU Triangulated Surface Library:

should do what you want, but I don't know of any Python bindings -- you
may be able to write some to the routines you need without too much pain.

CGAL may have something too, and it does have Python bindings.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax