[Numpy-discussion] packaging scipy (was Re: Simple financial functions for NumPy)

Tue Apr 8 08:28:54 CDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 06:15:25AM -0600, Steven H. Rogers wrote:
> At the IPython Sprint in Boulder last year Fernando suggested that
> someone look at this issue.  I've given it some thought and started a
> wiki page for it.  Inputs would be welcome and might motivate me to find
> the time to implement something.

> http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/Developer_Zone/SearchDocs

A huge progress has been made in the direction of solving this problem
with the release of sphinx (http://sphinx.pocoo.org/). This is a
documentation-generation tool that creates html docs from restructured
text. The docs are really nice, but a very interesting feature is that
they have a "search" page, which works with javascript code on the
client: no need for a server.

For documenting Mayavi, I generated a function reference from the
docstrings. It is very easy using the inspect module. Then I used my
homebrewed rst comiler to build the docs. I plan to replace this with
sphinx very soon. This will give us ability to search the docstrings and
the full docs (dostrings cannot replace a user manual).

Ipython and sympy have also decided to go the sphinx way. In fact Ondrej
has already converted the ipython1 docs to sphinx, you can check them out

Sphinx seems a very promising to the everlasting problem of documentation.