[Numpy-discussion] #734: interactive docstring search (lookfor)

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Thu Apr 10 16:42:05 CDT 2008

Travis E. Oliphant kirjoitti:
> Pauli Virtanen wrote:
>> I think this is a good idea: full-namespace docstring search à la Matlab
>> lookfor. I wrote a quick implementation for numpy here:
>> http://scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/734
> Cool.  I started scipy.misc.info a long time ago to try and do this.   I
> didn't advertise it well enough ;-)
> scipy.misc.info('eigvals')
> I'm happy to move this functionality into numpy (but it might be better
> in IPython).

Aha! I was wondering if something this simple was already present, but I
didn't notice that numpy.lib.utils.info also accepted strings as
parameters. Btw, the info function is already in numpy and the code is
duplicated in scipy.misc.

However, "info" is a bit different from "lookfor" in that it finds
documentation by the exact function name, not by looking into the

So, should info and lookfor be combined, or kept separate?

Pauli Virtanen