[Numpy-discussion] ones with non-native dtype byteorder

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Apr 14 15:04:04 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Eric Firing <efiring@hawaii.edu> wrote:
> This (on little-endian machine) surprised me:
>  In [23]:np.ones((1,), dtype='<i2')
>  Out[23]:array([1], dtype=int16)
>  In [24]:np.ones((1,), dtype='>i2')
>  Out[24]:array([256], dtype=int16)
>  I expected the value to be [1] in either case. Am I wrong?

You are correct. It is a bug in the @NAME@_fillwithscalar() template
in arraytypes.inc.src; it does not take endianness into consideration.
I mentioned this to Travis, and he might have time to hop on this, but
if anyone else can fix it faster, please go for it.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco