[Numpy-discussion] Matrix vs ndarray

Bill Baxter wbaxter@gmail....
Thu Apr 17 14:14:03 CDT 2008

You might find out a lot from reading through this page:

What I think that doesn't say is why the two classes are needed in
NumPy.  Basically, the reason for that is that Matlab has .* and *
which mean different things, but  Python only has the one * operator.
Some people think that should mean .*,  some want it to mean *.  So
NumPy offers two different classes with different behavior instead of
two different operators.