[Numpy-discussion] untenable matrix behavior in SVN

Tue Apr 29 16:26:09 CDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Gael Varoquaux <
gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:03:58PM +0200, Anne Archibald wrote:
> > I am puzzled by this. What is the rationale for x[i,:] not being a 1-d
> > object?
> It breaks A*B[i, :] where A and B are matrices.

A*B[:,i], surely.

So it's a notational problem, what is the easiest way to get row/col vectors
out of a matrix. And it will be helpful if the notation is consistent and
easy to understand. In any case, dot doesn't care, so the fault above comes
from the matrix class itself.