[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.2.0b2 released

Andrew Dalke dalke@dalkescientific....
Fri Aug 15 12:17:04 CDT 2008

I forgot to mention..

On Aug 15, 2008, at 9:00 AM, Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
> 1) Removing ctypeslib import
> * Can break code if somebody has been doing import numpy and then
> using
> numpy.ctypeslib
> * I'm fine with people needing to import numpy.ctypeslib to use the
> capability as long as we clearly indicate these breakages.

You were the one who had numpy/__init__.py always import ctypeslib

r3027 | oliphant | 2006-08-15 11:53:49 +0200 (Tue, 15 Aug 2006) | 1 line

import ctypeslib on numpy load and change name from
ctypes_load_library to load_library

Was there a driving reason for that other than decreased user burden?

There will be breakage in the wild.  I found:

and a Google Code search found a couple hits too:

It doesn't looks like there will be a big impact.  This is not
a widely used package (in public code), and many examples seem to
prefer this form:

from numpy.ctypeslib import ndpointer, load_library