[Numpy-discussion] VS 2003 problems with cython-generated code

Fri Aug 15 12:18:15 CDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 10:49 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
> I noticed this morning that numpy 1.2 is not buildable with VS 2003
> (the one you have to use for official python releases for at least
> python 2.5, and maybe 2.4). When we generate C code, both with
> internal code (numpy/core/code_generator) and with external tools
> (cython/pyrex for mtrand), the string literals generated for
> docstrings are too long for visual studio. We have to break them (e.g.
> "foo bar" becomes "foo""bar"), but doing so with cython-generated code
> is only doable by changing cython itself.
> So I did patch cython to break those, and regenerate the mtrand.c.
> This is done in the vs_longstring branch. Is it ok to put this for 1.2
> ? Without it, I don't see a way to have numpy 1.2 buildable with VS.

Be careful if you break across lines. The gnu compilers will accept

But for some others you need to use a line continuation.

Is this mostly for the ufuncs? I'm not sure why we can't make that operate
like add_newdocs.