[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.2.0b2 released

Fri Aug 15 16:18:47 CDT 2008

Andrew Dalke wrote:
> Can that be made quicker?  Not easily.  "lib" is
> first imported in "add_newdocs".  Personally, I
> want to get rid of add_newdocs and move the
> docstrings into the correct locations.
Where would that be, in the C-code?  The reason for add_newdocs is to
avoid writing docstrings in C-code which is a pain.
> It's possible to clean up the code so this loop
> doesn't exist, and fix things so that fewer things
> are imported when some environment variable is set,
> but it doesn't look easy.  Modules depend on other
> modules a bit too much to make me happy.
I've removed this loop.   Are there other places in numpy.core that
depend on numpy.lib?

Thanks for the very helpful analysis.