[Numpy-discussion] C99 on windows

Pauli Virtanen pav@iki...
Sat Aug 16 08:46:17 CDT 2008

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 03:25:11 +0200, Christian Heimes wrote:
> David Cournapeau wrote:
>> The current trunk has 14 failures on windows (with mingw). 12 of them
>> are related to C99 (see ticket 869). Can the people involved in recent
>> changes to complex functions take a look at it ? I think this is high
>> priority for 1.2.0
> I'm asking just out of curiosity. Why is NumPy using C99 and what
> features of C99 are used? The Microsoft compilers aren't supporting C99
> and they'll probably never will. I don't know if the Intel CC supports
> C99. Even GCC doesn't implement C99 to its full extend. Are you planing
> to restrict yourself to MinGW32?

To clarify this again: *no* features of C99 were used. The C99 specs were
only used as a guideline to what behavior we want of complex math
functions, and I wrote tests for this, and marked failing ones as skipped.

However, it turned out that different tests fail on different platforms,
which means that the inf/nan handling of our complex-valued functions is
effectively undefined. Eventually, most of the tests had to be marked as
skipped, and so it made more sense to remove them altogether.

Pauli Virtanen