[Numpy-discussion] isn't it a bug in array.fill()?

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Fri Aug 29 16:00:19 CDT 2008

2008/8/29 Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com>:
>> I like that idea. A lot of numpy functions return a reference to the
>> modified array when the output array (out) is specified.
> Google up the various discussions of python sort to see why Guido doesn't
> like that sort of thing. We've had that discussion on this list also and
> pretty much decided to follow python in these matters. Not that I really
> agree with Guido here, but it's a small point and when in Rome...

At first, I also thought it might be more intuitive to return the
output array, but then I realised that it would make it more difficult
to realise that the operation is being performed in-place.  Maybe it
is good to remind programmers of what happens under the hood, so that
they are not surprised later when their data is "corrupted".