[Numpy-discussion] checksum on numpy float array

Brennan Williams brennan.williams@visualreservoir....
Thu Dec 4 17:43:58 CST 2008

josef.pktd@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 6:17 PM, Brennan Williams
> <brennan.williams@visualreservoir.com> wrote:
>> My app reads in one or more float arrays from a binary file.
>> Sometimes due to network timeouts etc the array is not read correctly.
>> What would be the best way of checking the validity of the data?
>> Would some sort of checksum approach be a good idea?
>> Would that work with an array of floating point values?
>> Or are checksums more for int,byte,string type data?
> If you want to verify the file itself, then python provides several
> more or less secure checksums, my experience was that zlib.crc32 was
> pretty fast on moderate file sizes. crc32 is common inside archive
> files and for binary newsgroups. If you have large files transported
> over the network, e.g. GB size, I would work with par2 repair files,
> which verifies and repairs at the same time.
The file has multiple arrays stored in it.

So I want to have some sort of validity check on just the array that I'm

I will need to add a check on the file as well as of course network
problems could affect writing to the file
as well as reading from the file.