[Numpy-discussion] how to create a matrix based on a vector?

frank wang f.yw@hotmail....
Mon Dec 8 11:27:01 CST 2008

I want to create a matrix based on a vector. It is difficult to describe the issue for me in english. Here is an example.
Suppose I have an array([3, 6, 8, 12]), I want to create a range based on each element. In this exampe, let us say want to create 4 number with step 2, so I will have
[3, 6, 8, 12
 5, 8, 10,14
 7, 10,12,16
 9, 12,14,18]
It is a 4 by 4 maxtric in this example. My original array is quite large. but the range I want to create around the number is not big, it is about 30.
Does anyone know how to do this efficiently?