[Numpy-discussion] Failing to build numpy properly on Ubuntu Hardy

Wed Dec 10 16:10:23 CST 2008

Hi all,

Looks like I am following the long line of people failing to build numpy
:). I must admit I am clueless with building problems.

Numpy builds alright, but I get:

ImportError: /usr/lib/sse2/atlas/libblas.so.3gf: undefined symbol:

On import.

This used to work a while ago. I am not sure what I changed, but it sure
does fail. I really don't understand where the gfortran comes in. I tried
building numpy with or without gfortran. From what I gather it is the
numpy is being built by a different compiler than the atlas libraries
(hurray for ABI compatibility), but I don't really understand how this is

How can I debug this?