[Numpy-discussion] Is anyone knowledgeable about dll deployment on windows ?

Jon Wright wright@esrf...
Fri Feb 15 06:34:37 CST 2008

David Cournapeau wrote:
> Hi,
>     My head hurt trying to understand dll management with windows. I
> wanted to find a sane way to use dll for numscons, but I can't see how
> to do this, so I was wondering if anyone on this ML had any deep
> knowledge on how to install dll, and reuse them with python extensions ?
> The problem is the following:
>     - you have some dll (say MKL) in a path (say C:\program files\MKL).
>     - how do you tell another dll (more exactly a python extension, a
> .pyd) to look for mkl dll into the MKL path ?

To be honest I'd be nervous about spreading your depedencies all over
the disk, the potential interactions go as n^2. According to msdn there
is a function which might work:

"SetDllDirectory: Adds a directory to the search path used to locate
DLLs for the application."

Perhaps this is only for vista/xp? Otherwise you might have to copy the
mkl dll into the "directory from which the application loaded". This
would seem like a better choice, but I do wonder where that is for python.

Hope this helps. I'm certainly not an expert, but keen to try to support
your work on help the masses access optimised libraries.