[Numpy-discussion] Moving away from svn ?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sat Jan 5 13:15:41 CST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 12:08 PM, David M. Cooke <cookedm@physics.mcmaster.ca> wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2008, at 13:58 , Fernando Perez wrote:
> > My vote so far is for hg, for performance reasons but also partly
> > because sage and sympy already use it, two projects I'm likely to
> > interact a lot with and that are squarely in line with the
> > ipython/numpy/scipy/matplotlib world.  Since they went first and made
> > the choice, I'm happy to let that be a factor in my decision.  I'd
> > rather use a tool that others in the same community are also using,
> > especially when the choice is a sound one on technical merit alone.
> >
> > Just my 1e-2...
> +1 on mercurial. It's what I use these days (previously, I used darcs,
> which I still like for its patch-handling semantics, but its
> dependence on Haskell, and the dreaded exponential-time merge are a
> bit of a pain).

Regarding the 'record' capapbilities of darcs which were indeed very
nice, here's something that was recently mentioned on the sage list:

I noticed that Mercurial 0.9.5 has a "record" extension that mimics the
darcs record functionality of interactively asking what changes you want
to commit out of a file.  I know there was discussion of this a while ago.

under the New extensions heading.  See also

Anyways, I'm just posting this as an FYI.  It might be nice to expose
this functionality to sage, if we haven't already.