[Numpy-discussion] Moving away from svn ?

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sat Jan 5 18:56:21 CST 2008

Bill Baxter wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2008 8:25 AM, Stefan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za> wrote:
>> I recall something you said to David last week, regarding merges with
>> SVN: that a person never knows how to do it until *after* you've done
>> it!  We often make branches in scipy and numpy, and stand a lot to
>> gain from a distributed RCS.
>> Once a person knows how to use SVN, it doesn't take much effort at all
>> to learn bzr or hg (even the commands are often the same).  The main
>> change is a mind-shift: that branches are now a lot friendlier, and
>> that they are accessable to everybody.
> I understand that DVCS's do merging better.  But what I don't really
> understand is why this is an inherent advantage of DVCS.   Isnt it
> just a matter of the current crop of DVCS's implementing a better
> merge algorithm than SVN?

No, it's not the algorithm itself. It's the information that the VCS tracks
about files and revisions.

> The SVN guys seem to be competent, so if
> you just give them time surely they will eventually incorporate these
> better merging algorithms into SVN.  Who wouldn't want better merging?

Yes, such support is on its way in 1.5. Unfortunately, that release is most
likely years away.

Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco