[Numpy-discussion] Doctest items

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Jul 1 15:12:24 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 14:39, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Alan McIntyre <alan.mcintyre@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Can it work on an entire section? If not, can we do something that
>> > works on a whole section? Everything after "Plot the window and its
>> > frequency response:" is not required for testing.
>> It's on a per-line basis at the moment, so each lines needs a
>> "#doctest: +SKIP".  Changing a directive to apply to multiple lines
>> probably isn't trivial (I haven't really looked into doing that,
>> though).
>> We could always just make the plotting section one of those "it's just
>> an example not a doctest" things and remove the ">>>" (since it
>> doesn't appear to provide any useful test coverage or anything).
> Would it serve to overload plot with a function that does zippo?

If it's not going to test anything, I would prefer that it not be part
of the tests. Admittedly, that's just my sense of aesthetics, not a
technical objection.

A technical objection would be that some of the matplotlib functions
actually do return something, and we would still have to uglify the
examples with the ellipsis stuff.

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco