[Numpy-discussion] strange seterr persistence between sessions

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Jul 28 14:35:35 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 14:30, John Hunter <jdh2358@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 13:56, John Hunter <jdh2358@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In trying to track down a bug in matplotlib, I have come across tsome
>>> very strange numpy behavior.  Basically, whether or not I call
>>> np.seterr('raise') or not in a matplotlib demo affects the behavior of
>>> seterr in another (pure numpy) script, run in a separate process.
>>> Something about the numpy state is persisting between python sessions.
>>>  This appears to be platform specific, because I have only been able
>>> to verify it on 1 platform (quad code xeon 64 bit running fedora) but
>>> not on another (solaris x86).
>> Can you make a new, smaller self-contained example? I suspect stale .pyc files.
> I'm not sure exactly what you mean by self-contained (since the
> behavior requires at least two files).  Do you mean trying to come up
> with two numpy only examples files, or one that does away with the npy
> file?  Or both....

Both, if the behavior exhibits itself without the npy file. If it only
exhibits itself with an npy involved, then we have some more
information about where the problem might be.

> As for the stale files, I'm not sure what you are
> thinking but these are clean builds and installs of numpy and mpl.

And of the files you are editing and anything they might import?

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco