[Numpy-discussion] "import numpy" is slow

Thu Jul 31 08:01:59 CDT 2008

Nathan Bell wrote:
> There are other components of NumPy/SciPy that are more worthy of
> optimization.  Given that programmer time is a scarce resource, it's
> more sensible to direct our efforts towards making the other 98.5% of
> the computation faster.

To be fair, when I took a look at the problem last month, it took a few
of us (Robert and me IIRC) maximum 2 man hours altogether to divide by
two numpy import times on linux, without altering at all the API. Maybe
there are more things which can be done to get to a more 'flat' profile.