[Numpy-discussion] 1.1.0 OSX Installer Fails Under 10.5.3?

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Jun 4 01:56:43 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 1:48 AM, J. Stark <j.stark@imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> On this topic, I would be interested to hear people's advice on using
> the system provided Python v an independent install. In 25 years of
> using Macs I have learned through several painful lessons that its
> wise to customize the system as little as possible: this minimizes
> both conflicts and reduces problems when doing system upgrades. I
> have therefore always used the default Python provided by OSX, so far
> with no obvious disadvantages for the types of scripts I use
> (primarily home written SciPy scientific code). However, I note that
> many people run either the pythomac.org distribution, or the
> ActiveState. What are the advantages to this?

By installing a separate Python, you are actually customizing the
system *less* than if you used the system Python and installed a bunch
of extra packages. Parts of Apple's software uses the system Python.
If you upgrade packages inside there (like numpy!) you might run into

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco