[Numpy-discussion] A memory problem: why does mmap come up in numpy.inner?

Michael Abshoff mabshoff@googlemail....
Thu Jun 5 01:24:26 CDT 2008

Jonathan Wright wrote:
> Dan Yamins wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 9:06 PM, Charles R Harris
>> <charlesr.harris@gmail.com <mailto:charlesr.harris@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>         Are both python and your version of OS X fully 64 bits?
>> I'm not sure.
> >From  python:
> python2.5 -c 'import platform;print platform.architecture()'
> ('32bit', 'ELF')
> versus :
> ('64bit', 'ELF')
> You can also try the unix file command (eg: from a terminal):
Hi Jon,

as described in the other email in this thread about an hour ago I did
build python 2.5.2 on OSX in 64 bit mode. As is the ctypes extension
does not build due to libffi being too old. I manually got it to build
[hackish, long story, details will go to the python dev list in a couple
days] and now it works, i.e. twisted works correctly and the Sage
notebook which depends on twisted passes doctests.

> $ file `which python2.5`
> /sware/exp/fable/standalone/redhate4-a64/bin/python: ELF 64-bit LSB
> executable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.4.0,
> dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
> ...etc. We needed this for generating the .so library file name for
> ctypes, and got the answer from comp.lang.python. I hope it also works
> for OS X.

Can you elaborate on this a little? I have a 64 bit python 2.5.2 and
ctypes imports fine:

bsd:64bitnumpy mabshoff$ file `which python`
/Users/mabshoff/64bitnumpy/python-2.5.2-bin/bin//python: Mach-O 64-bit
executable x86_64
bsd:64bitnumpy mabshoff$ python
Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Jun  4 2008, 21:59:02)
 >>> import _ctypes
 >>> ^D

But  since I manually build it and copied it over python might not
"know" it exists [excuse much lack of python-internals foo here]. Since
I tested numpy-1.1 before I copied over the ctypes extension I deleted
numpy-1.1 from site-packages and rebuild from fresh sources, but despite
the ctypes extension existing and working it still fails the numpy
ctypes test:

<SNIP other tests>
  Found 5/5 tests for numpy.tests.test_ctypeslib
<SNIP many dots>ctypes is not available on this python: skipping the
test (import error was: ctypes is not available.)
Ran 1275 tests in 1.235s

I am not what I would call familiar with numpy internals, so is there a
magic thing I can do to make numpy aware that ctypes exists? I am
willing to find out myself, but do not have the time today to go off and
spend a day or two on this, especially if somebody on the list can just
point me to the right spot ;)

Any input is appreciated.