[Numpy-discussion] array vs matrix

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sat Jun 7 14:44:13 CDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 14:37, Ondrej Certik <ondrej@certik.cz> wrote:
> Hi,
> what is the current plan with array and matrix with regard of calculating
> sin(A)
> ? I.e. elementwise vs sin(A) = Q*sin(D)*Q^T? Is the current approach
> (elementwise for array and Q*sin(D)*Q^T for matrix) the way to go?

I don't believe we intend to make numpy.matrix any more featureful. I
don't think it's a good idea for you to base sympy.Matrix's
capabilities in lock-step with numpy.matrix, though. There are very
different constraints at work. Please, do what you think is best for

Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco